Satellit
Auf Karte anzeigen
  • Tag 22

    Day 22 - WildCoast / Port St’Johns

    6. April 2022 in Südafrika ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    As the days drag on, so 05:00 becomes 06:00 becomes
    07:00 day-by-day!!! And so on!! This Caravan is snug as a cartoon 😖 Come on "Spell Check".... as a cocoon! 😉

    And now 1 Cuppa in the morning has become 3, so getting out we are two hours behind the ball-game! We ran an 8km this am, there and back to the ocean! The road, paved, concreted, potholed and muddy, with shaIed gravel in places, looks like a Std 6, science experiment! Why this particular road, clearly getting millions thrown at it remains as unclear as the afternoon mist, hanging over the same path. Apart from a few very 'larney' dwellings, one or a few belonging to 'The Honorable Mayor' of Port St.Johns no doubt, there cannot be any justification?

    After a swim on 2nd Beach in 'PSJ' along with a herd of tubby looking Nguni's also on the beach, we took a drive around the town. Not unlike what we have also experienced in Moz, along the lines of Inhambane or the likes, very little of the dreadful Apartheid era remain. Apart from the Town Hall and the Police Station (believe it or not) every other structure is a ruin. Ever present in these towns are the likes of KFC and Debonairs, proudly advertised by the plastic bags and styrofoam punnets littering the streets, also... 'Without any names' and Ackermans, is also a hit!

    I got chatting to Keke, the one and only 'Life Guard' on a beach with no one else except Karen, myself and 9 Nguni's, I asked him about the local demographic's? Pondoland (not what you are thinking, Johan Meyer) Pondoland😖 I asked Keke who lives in Pondoland? 'Pondo's' was correctly the answer, according to Keke! So, still being a little confused and probably ignorant, I asked him "So where do the Xhosas live?".... "In CapeTown" replies Keke FFS!!!

    Then there was Themba, who wanted to exchange Oyster's for cash. We agreed to catch-up tomorrow at 10:00 with some fresh Crayfish.... let's see how that turns out?

    The rest of the afternoon Karen and I took a drive on the same road described earlier to its extremity, where it petered out into a typical, eroded Transkei 'twee-spoor' track, that only a Toyota could successfully tackle 😉 On a deserted hill overlooking 270°'s of the Indian Ocean, coloured in several different shades of brown, from the flooded Mzimvubu River and a deep blue on the horizon, we drank beers and Flying Fish, ate Biltong, Simba Chips and Woolies Mixed Nuts, until the Nguni's came home.

    Later in camp, a braai of Beef Fillet and Marinated Chicken Kebabs (also Woolies) put us to bed, as the predicted rain started to patter.
    Weiterlesen