Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 83

    “The Last Post”

    June 6, 2022 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    TRAMP'S LIKE US...

    GRAND FINALÈ

    Solemnly at sunset on our final day we sat, beer and wine in hand and pondered our complete, epic trip, journey and adventure! We were able to do more in three months than most get done in a whole life-time and we really did live!

    It was very special road-tripping, camping, planning, swimming, running, climbing, hiking, scuba-diving, braaiing, living and just being who you really are, without any care in the world!

    Doing all this with Karen too, was very special. She was my co-pilot, my navigator, my eating, singing, laughing, drinking and loving partner and equal to any task! I couldn't have asked for a better companion and friend! Living together in the car all day and the 3mX4m caravan all night (and all the time with me and all my BS 🤔), takes a very special person!

    Like those Tsotsies on TV during the Kwa-Zulu plundering fiasco earlier this year, one said on national TV that, "They had never felt so free"😖😖😖 I too have never felt so free and even better, care-free! To wake up every morning knowing today will never be like yesterday and tomorrow, never like today! Every day was something new and everyday was real! We never once set an alarm clock in 3 months, and never did either of us feel under pressure to do or not to do anything ever!

    We are both most grateful to;
    * Johan & Annatjie,
    * Vince & Jodi,
    * Ray & Liz Keeny
    * Bollie & Ghizlain
    * Koos & Monique
    * Dawie & Sheila
    * Gavin & Sandi
    * Trevor & Rina
    * Paul & Lynette
    (in order of our visit to them and some in advance!)

    To tell it absolutley the way it is, was so awesome seeing you all, your hospitality and kindness toward the "Tramps like Us" was never in any doubt.

    For putting a solid roof over our heads and for providing square meals, great companionship and for sharing your homes so openly, at the drop of a hat! You are all wonderful, real people and irreplaceable, genuine friends!

    Thank you to everyone who has followed us constantly and have chimed in, as and when! Of course there were also the 'Stalkers' or 'Predators'.... 'Roofkykers' as Karen would call you, and we love you all too!

    On the 'Find Penguins' App, we can view how many read the post, and didn't necessarily 'Like' or 'Unlike', but just viewed! We couldn't see who you are, but loved having you all along, as well!

    Innitially, one of my biggest fears was, should we get onto serious life and death trouble along the way, what would you all have said? "Mark, you are an irresponsible idiot, taking Karen into these most dangerous and inhospitable places in Africa?" My mate Johan offered me a 'Paintball Gun' with hundreds of solid plastic rounds to take with, which I have to admit I did pack in. Not once did we ever feel in danger, at all! To the extent that I didn't even take it out of the box👍

    And so, all that is good must at some time, come to an end! 🥹

    In conclusion, we have such a special, beautiful country and with all its challenges particularly in relation to the environment, we can only hope and pray that it can remain so, and very apparently get even better! Without stating the obvious, all efforts toward 'people' finding each other and eradicating this horrific poverty, which we personally witnessed in abundance, is critical. Any and all interventions to eliminate 'climate change', pollution of our land, sea and air needs to be embraced by every single person living in this country. Only if every person and every single household can just tackle their own bad habits and adopt a singular, permanent and conscientious effort to clean up and maintain a perfect environment, will we be able to see this out and succeed, for our children and Grandchildrens sake. Some scars are sadly permanent and we need to stop them being repeated. Semi permanent scars, like redundant, useless telephone poles and wires and let's be frank, will never be used again. We need to have them removed! If only we could encourage people to engage in a culture of not even discarding a single bottle and tin, piece of chewing- gum and cigarette stub! Household refuse, just dumped anywhere was the biggest eyesore on our entire journey.

    The most distressing point on this trip however, was people! This country, this continent (and of course the world) just cannot afford more people. In every town and city in every province there are people and more people!

    In Africa there will never be enough food, jobs, medical, care of the elderly, education, gender based violence prevention, less poverty, houses, streets, money etcetera, not to mention water, electricity and sanitation.

    Only less will ever mean, more!

    That was a proper honour and privilege to be able to do, complete, and enjoy, before it is too late!

    Much love to you all and bless this beautiful country and it's people!🇿🇦

    Love, Peace and Light.
    M&K
    👍💐🇿🇦
    Read more