Satellite
  • Day 91

    Volcano Boarding!!

    September 15, 2017 in Nicaragua ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    I got up super early at 6am as I was leaving the group to go 'rogue' to do Volcano Boarding!! I took a boat then found my way to the Big Foot hostel in the next town along the coast. From there I got the shuttle into Leon, had breakfast, before about 25 of us piled into a big open bus all wearing new shirts. We walked up the volcano, that wasn't too hard and I carried my board up which was pretty light. Up the top we could see the smoke coming from the crater and stunning views with volcanoes dotting the skyline. There were many groups up there and most looked to be going quite slow and carefully down. I went down in what I thought was the medium speed but think it was actually fast! There were rocks flying everywhere but I kept it under control and came in with a speed of 55km/hr so very quick! There was a mix up on the scores and another Aussie girl was recorded as the fast speed so she won a t- shirt. I should have won it and she mentioned she went so slow, but once I questioned her about it she said yeah think so...not a nice person in the end. But I probably didn't need another t- shirt anyhow. I had lunch after with a lovely Canadian girl at the market in Leon. I tired a local dish which had been cooking in a pot all day of yucca, plantain, pork and tomatoes. Didn't taste great but it was good to try it!
    I caught the shuttle back to the Big Foot hostel and walked along the beach to the surfing turtle resort. I had a swim in the warm water, watched the sunset and had some dinner. We all went to bed quite early for the early wake up the next day.
    Read more