Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 106

    Exploring Mexico City

    September 30, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    We woke up early and headed out for coffee and pastries. We caught an Uber to the Frida Kahlo Museum. We got an audio guide which explained all about her tough life, suffering from polio and a bus accident leaving her with terrible pain. Her husband cheated on her many times and she painted mainly from her wheelchair. Her paintings were mainly portraits of herself as that’s what see could see. She died quite young and her house was made into a museum. All the walls were painted in bright Mexican colours. After we caught an Uber to the central area with the big square and cathedral. We had lunch at a local style Mexican place where the whole meal cost $6. I had beef tacos which was mainly just beef and tortillas. We then walked to Templo Mayor, ancient ruins from the center of the wold for the Mexica people. I was annoyed as they made us drink all our water and made me take my battery out of my camera so I couldn’t video anything...weird! There was an interesting museum with artifices and offerings that were found. After we stopped for cocktails as it was raining!
    We walked up the the main park, Alamenda Central, where there was a market set up at one end. We walked up to Plaza Garibaldi and had a drink around the square. We then went to the Tequila and Mezcal museum where we had tastings of each. We had dinner in the market next to the square, Mercardo San Camilito. We had a cheese fondue and I had a goat taco. We had heaps of salsa spreads which made Zoe very happy!
    We then got in a dodgy taxi back but realized there was no meter or identity of the driver. We got out and walked a bit before finding an official taxi with a meter and he drove us back home safely!
    Read more