Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    On our way

    August 23, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    When we left home at 2.30 the gentleness of the early spring weather, the camellias bursting with colour and the scent of daffodils and daphne lingering in the air made us feel that, just maybe, staying home to see the garden break into exuberant life would be worth it. This thought didn't last long. With the prospect of seeing an autumnal Canada with all those spectacular shades of red and orange and gold in the maple forest, and following it up with the stark snow covered glaciers and whales and dolphins and bears (oh my) in Alaska, we happily called a cab and began our great adventure north.

    We made it to the hotel opposite the terminal in good time. The cat had been relocated to next door and the goldfish had been given its longterm food block. The gardeners had been given their instructions, the neighbours notified, family given travel details and emergency contacts and directions on how to access this blog confirmed, so everything was sorted and there was no reason to delay.

    As I look out the window of the hotel room I see the sun fading in the west but still brightly making its way through a gap in the clouds. The sun hits the fields beyond the airport. In the distance I see some kinds of orchard, one presumably providing a fruit of some kind and the other, a man made grove of metal trees delivering electricity. Glistening as they taxi around the airport, international planes land and take off giving travellers great adventures and returning them back to home.

    As I write, Ross continues to follow the news with every journalist and commentator analysing and speculating about who will be our Prime Minister tomorrow afternoon. Extraordinary behaviour from our politicians. We will leave those shenanigans behind us with pleasure.

    Tomorrow we fly to Vancouver, arriving two hours before we left Melbourne, according to the clock. Within hours we catch another flight to the starting point of our tour, in of all places, Victoria! Tonight we will dine early, go for a short walk, then have an early night so we are ready for our start tomorrow morning. Now I will try to work out how to put photos in this blog. This is always nervewracking.

    Thank you for following this travelblog. We hope you will enjoy and will share our meandering through maples.
    Helen
    Read more