Satellite
  • Day 11

    Day 11 - Yokohama & Enoshima Island

    April 6, 2018 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    We woke up to a hazy day. No chance to see Mt Fuji. So we decided to day trip to Enoshima Island. We caught the local train south to Ofuna, arriving at 9am. From here we transferred to the Shonan Monorail for an exciting 15min journey to Enoshima 310¥. The monorail is top hung, and an interesting way to travel. The kids called it the rollercoaster train.

    At Enoshima it was very windy and a bit hazy. We walked from the monorail station to the bridge and across to the island. The caves were closed due to damage from the typhoon and therefore the enopass one day ticket was not available. So we walked up all the stairs through the narrow streets ( where a guy in a merc squeezed through) to the top of the island. We paid the 500¥ to go into the gardens and up the sea candle observation tower. You could feel the tower sway in the wind. The view was ok for the hazy day (another place we may have been able to see Fuji from if it was clear). We chose to ride the monorail back to Ofuna again.

    Here we jumped on a train to Yokohama Chinatown, we found a place to each lunch. Not a bad set meal for 800¥, but the waitress serving us was the coldest person we had met so far. Anyway Chinatown was not really our scene so we headed for the waterfront. The Garden Necklace was on again, but not as good as last years. We walk out to the pier and onto the walkway/park that adorns the roof of the cruise ship terminal, the wind was strong. It was then a 1km walk back to Kannai station, and only 5mins to Yokohama arriving back about 3pm.

    Just after 4pm we headed out to Yodabashi so the kids could get some vending machine toys and others on the toy level. Then it was off to Don Quixote for Jason to get his alcohol to take home. We got back to the hotel at 7:30pm all very tired.
    Read more