Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Nice Day 3

    May 5 in France ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    We went to the flower market this morning. They do sell some beautiful plants and flowers here, but it is mainly a produce market. Some really good looking stuff. This is really close to the Promenade, so we walked out there and strolled east, around the Colline de Chateau and into the port again. From there we got lunch, then eventually boarded a very crowded bus to take us to the Rothschild mansion and gardens over on Cap Ferrat. It was a terribly windy and bumpy ride, especially seeing we stood cheek to jowl with everyone else. A ton of traffic and a huge menace of bicycles made for start and stop motion, too. A very unpleasant ride.
    But, we eventually made it and got to tour the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild, as well as its extensive gardens. The house was really lovely, and while definitely a house built with no expense spared, was not over the top or gaudy. The gardens were beautiful, and some of the roses were blooming nicely. The Villa was having a rose event that weekend, so there were a number of vendors there selling different things, but they had lots of roses for sale.
    The return trip to Nice was just as terrible as the ride out. Overcrowded, standing room only on windy roads through the hills. We were definitely glad to be back.
    We ended the day with a walk through the Musicien and Fleur districts. Stately old apartment buildings are the main construction here, with a few newer builds in these quiet, residential areas.
    Read more