Satellite
  • Day 21

    Vienna Day 2

    July 5, 2016 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    We spent the day bumbling around the city. Mostly going from one coffee stop to the next. Needless to say, I managed to find more churches to visit 😊

    Vienna's drinking water originates in the Lower Austrian-Styrian Alps. “Vienna has the world’s best drinking water” and free water dispenser's are dotted all around the city. Doggy water bowls are seen all over the city as many locals take their dogs everywhere with them. There many are public water fountains, where you can fill up your water bottle for free. The German term for drinkable water is “Trinkwasser“ Because water should not be a luxury item”, Vienna is the first city in the world to place its' water under constitutional protection. Since December 2001, the city of Vienna has protected its' water for future generations in the Vienna Water Charter.

    The Hotel Sacher is a five-star hotel located in the Innere Stadt first district of Vienna, Austria, vis-à-vis to the Vienna State Opera. It is famous for the specialty of the house, the Sachertorte, a chocolate cake with apricot filling. As neither of us are fans of the Sachertorte, we only walked past the hotel and didn't come in.

    Schönbrunn Palace is a former imperial summer residence located in Vienna, Austria. It boasts 1441 rooms and is one of the most important architectural, cultural, and historical monuments in the country. The name Schönbrunn (meaning "beautiful spring"), has its roots in an artesian well from which water was consumed by the court.

    Trams in Vienna are a vital part of the public transport system in Vienna. They have been in operation since 1865.

    Tomorrow we leave for Munich, where we'll spend a few days with Elke and Dieter.
    Read more