Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Memphis

    June 16, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    It was a bittersweet start to the day with a lovely complimentary breakfast at the hotel while looking out at the Nashville skyline for the last time. Still, the sadness of leaving Nashville behind was soon replaced by the excitement of Graceland.

    The first view of graceland immediately blew all expectations out. It was a giant complex of museum after museum. Before we could start exploring it was time to get lunch. Gladys diner (named after his mum) and the coffee & go were closed so Vernon's smokehouse (named after his Dad) it was. I chose the bbq pork sandwich with corn and dad had bbq pork, mash and bbq beans. The meat was soft and seasoned really well, for just over $30 Inc drinks you definitely can't complain.
    The next couple of hours were spent seeing Graceland - the house, the cars, the planes, the costumes, it was so thorough and interesting, we made sure to get as many pics as possible for Mum.

    Once we checked into the hotel we had a quick brew before heading out into Memphis. We bumped into the Scottish couple from the coach and they had said they had been to the Mexican restaurant and the portions were good. We had a quick look round the main strip for something to eat but not a lot took our fancy. Memphis itself was a poor comparison to Nashville.

    So taking that couples advice we went to the Mexican. The decor was garishly bright and unfortunately no air con, but the glasses of water were large and cold. You got free chips and dip for starter, the nacho chips were greasy but the salsa was good. Dad ordered pollo loco which was a chicken sizzler dish and I ordered el paso (chicken burrito). The chicken itself was the best part of the meal, really juicy and I enjoyed the refried beans. Overall it was distinctly average but it got the job done and it was something different.

    We then walked off the big meal with another lap of memphis main strip before making our way back up to the hotel. After a quick brew I settled down for an early night, ready for New Orleans
    Read more