Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    New Orleans Day 2

    June 18, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    After a lovely lie in we hit the streets of New Orleans, taking the riverside walk to the end of the French Quarter. It was a sweltering day so we quickly grabbed breakfast at a little mini mart then took shelter in shade on the tram stop. I had a fresh strawberry jam donut while dad had a couple of pastries. For my first donut in the US it was a hit, very light and fluffy and packed full of jam.

    We made a plan to stroll up and down the long streets of the French quarter, visiting the fam our Bourbon Street and Royal Street. This was the true feel of New Orleans that I expected, with the picturesque buildings, the iron wrung balconies and the smooth sounds of jazz breaking through the hum every so often. As it was mid thirties degrees, another drink stop was in need, so we grabbed a powerade each to restore our electrolytes. The grape powerade was nice and refreshing, much better than grape Fanta.

    It was getting towards 3pm so we stopped at another minimart got some fried chicken and headed back to the hotel for a rest and cool down. Unfortunately I googled map us to the wrong hilton hotel but luckily it was so hot out than the chicken was still warm when we got to the right hotel ten minutes later. The Louisiana chicken tenders were a perfect balance of soft juicy inside with a dry spicy crunchy skin.

    We headed back out just after 6pm and walked the main more commercial road. It was great for sightseeing with a whole host of characters going about their evening. On our way back down the main street we came across a Chinese. Prices looked reasonable and there was people in eating which is always a good sign. I ordered a chicken chop suey which came with boiled rice ($7) and dad ordered a combo meal - sweet n sour chicken with pork fried rice and an egg spring roll. We both really enjoyed our meals, you got a lot of good and neither of us finished our rice. My chop suey sauce was light, the veg crisp and fresh and the chicken was nice and tender. All in all it was a good shout by Dad.

    I then left Dad in the casino while I went back to organise for tomorrow and have a chill night to rest my weary legs ready for tomorrow's adventure.
    Read more