Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    A foggy day

    April 15, 2022 in Ireland ⋅ 🌧 10 °C

    Today we went on the day tour we had most been looking forward to: the Cliffs of Moher UNESCO world heritage site. But as we boarded the bus in the morning, the weather wasn't looking good at all. Our bus driver, Gerard, was optimistic that it would clear up by the time we reached the visitor center.

    The route took us through the Burren lowlands past ruins of castles, tower houses and stone cottages. The ocean had receded leaving long stretches of muddy seabed behind. We passed Kilcolgan, known for it's world-class oysters and Lisdoonvarna, where they hold a full-month matchmaking festival in September. We were told if you are single, this is the place to be. "Once you've found your match", our bus driver advised, "you should go back to Kilcolgan for some oysters and champagne. But beware: this combination could leave you feeling rather amorous."

    Driving up corkscrew hill, the fog got thicker and thicker. Gerard now sounded less sure, especially as we couldn't enjoy the view of Galway Bay once we had reached the top, but was still optimistic it would clear up by the time we reached our destination. We were hopeful, too.
    Read more