Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Transfagarasan Road

    September 11, 2023 in Romania ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Today we rented a car to make a day trip to the legendary Transfagarasan Highway. It is 90 km long (but it took us about two hours just to get to the starting point) and was built in 1974 under harsh, dangerous working conditions. So much so, that some of locals say it was built on the blood and bones of the workers.

    We didn't get through the entire highway as we only had the car from 10 AM to 6 PM and preferred to make a couple of stops instead of just driving through.

    Balea Waterfall involved an unexpectedly challenging hike. The sign at the trailhead said it would take half an hour to get up there but whoever came up with that must've had wings. The gravel path soon turned into a steep river bed and we had to clamber over rocks and roots on hands and feet. I was amazed to see a couple of senior citizens with walking sticks slowly (and shakily) working their way up... determined to see it through. I just hoped none of them lost their footing and tumbled down the mountain side. Eventually, everyone I encountered on the trail seemed to have made it to the waterfall and looked at least as happy and proud about it as I felt.

    The famous hairpin curves and turns through the mountain pass made for a fun drive up to Balea Lake, which is nestled in a small valley just off the road. We missed the exit at first and drove through the tunnel to the other side of the mountain before realizing our mistake.

    After a quick picnic and a photo session at the shore of the lake with crystal clear water and perfect reflections, we headed back to return the car.
    Read more