Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    An expensive travelling day

    October 21, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Top tip, dont take the toll roads in Japan. 1) Their speed limits are super slow. 2) They cost a fortune.
    Up and out early to get the car back to Kumamoto by 10am. Google had suggested crossing through the center of the Island, but car sat nav said a different way. Should have trusted Google. The sat nav trip cost us 40 quid in toll fees and took the same amount of time. Dowh!
    We sat down in the train station to decide the best route. Bus didn't seem viable. The two train options were a) bullet train for £100 which took 1hr 45, or b) using 'local trains' which would cost about £50 each but take 8 hours. We have still in holiday rather than travelling mode so took the faster more expensive route to Hiroshima.
    Upon arriving in Hiroshima we walked with our packs for 20 mins to the hotel. Stupidly I had booked it for the wrong date, with our checkin meaning to be the night before. Kindly they changed it for free.
    With only a few hours of light left we strolled to the Hiroshima castle and watched the sunset from the top. We both tried on some heavy Japanese armour and wielded a samurai. Keeeeya.
    Classy dinner of 'pot noodle' and screw top red time back in the room.
    Read more