Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Walking up Jeju volcano

    November 15, 2019 in South Korea ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    Up and out quickly to get to the foot of the volcano in the centre of Jeju. There are about 5 different routes to the top, but only 2 which go to the crater. We chose the most common route to the crater.
    We arrived at 9.15 to be told we had to be at a checkpoint by 12pm otherwise we would not be allowed to the top. The checkpoint was 3 hours away, so we got our quick march on.
    Made it with 30 mins to spare, so cruised to the top.
    Last 100m were pretty tiring, but apart from that a very nice walk.
    Lots of people up at the top including lots of the Korean army out for some training. After a snickers enjoying the view we started the walk down. Great views out over the island and interesting scenery as we descended 1000 vertical meters. Total time was 6.5 hours and about 13 miles.
    With tired feet we went to the harbour for sunset and a short drone flight.
    Back to the room for some pot noodles and a cider. I think probably the first day we actually came in under budget in the whole holiday so far.
    Early start tomorrow for a flight to Taiwan to meet up with the family.
    Read more