Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 71

    Taupo by pirate boat

    December 9, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    No real plans today, after yesterday where we managed to cram in loads.
    Our first stop was to book the Tongariro crossing for tomorrow at the tourist office.
    We went to the moon crater walk but was closed for filming.
    So booked a sailing boat to see some rock carvings. The boat also included beer and pizza. 😁. Had a very knowledgeable lady at the helm who told us all about local volanology info. Apparently the lake is a super volcano, which is well overdue.
    Very relaxing and informative.
    Did a small amount of shopping followed by sitting on the beach on the lake side. I think this is probably the first time in 2 months we have actually stopped and done nothing for over an hour.
    Got to the campsite and got onto the high ridge with a great view. The lady next to us got very arsey about us spoiling her view, even though we were well out of her way. She also had words with anyone else who parked near us. She then proceeded to spend most of the evening on the bench by the beach. Some people must just enjoy being angry.
    With a 5.20am start tomorrow morning we started to get all our hiking gear ready and made some food. Then watched the sunset whilst having some wine.
    Read more