Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 77

    Heading north

    December 15, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    Woke up in the car park campsite that we had to ourselves. Decided the view wasn’t good enough to accompany our breakfast so we took a short drive to a nearby bay, parked up and enjoyed a waterfront view to start the day.
    Then headed further north to a surf spot. Lovely beach and some good surf but unfortunately there was a surf life saving competition on so the rental shops were closed. We watched a few rounds of kids competing and when the wind picked up we headed back to the van to explore trip advisor.
    Top of the list and close by was karangahake gorge so we set off. We arrived as it started to rain so I had a little nap and Louis did some admin. When the sun came out again we did a walk through the gorge and a tunnel that was running through a section, quite cool.
    We were then on the road again and heading further north to some free camping spots. The Lord of the rings movie has been the soundtrack for our past few journeys, with Louis reciting most of the film!
    We found the free camping spot, which had a great view of the beach. Next to us was a walk to a 360 view of the area which was well worth the climb. Some pretty impressive houses too.
    Back to the van for a shower, beer, pasta while we wait for sunset.
    Read more