Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 84

    2 days of 4x4 fun around the mountains

    December 22, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    We were up and away by 6.30am to meet Pete and Cathers friends. But firstly we had to get up and over the range in the way. After 30 odd mins we were off the tarmac and onto the dirt road. The Thomson gorge. Great scenery, we were only slowed down by the gates you have to open and close every few Km.

    Met up with Jimmy and Emily. Jimmy was our guide as had done the trails before. A bit further down the road we met Lois and Ed, a couple who had moved from England 6 years ago.
    With the 3 vans loaded, all occupants filled with coffee we were on our way. These tracks are very cool, they just wind their way up and down valleys, along the top of ridges along the mountains and down through streams you need to drove through. Steep sided drop offs along the way. Some great driving by Pete took us safely through. We stopped off at a spacious hut for the night. Plenty of room for all 8 of us. A kitchen and dining room. Fresh stream flowing past for filling up drink containers.
    Mega error, we only took 4 bottles of beer, one bottle of wine and a hip flask of brandy. Polished them off whilst eating some traditional pasta stodge and playing bananagram.

    Day 2.
    Set off with great views and more great weather. After a few hours we started to head back downhill and back into civilisation. We headed for a lunch spot and had a smoked salmon bagel and toastie.
    There was an old mine next door which had been turned into a lake, so spent some time skimming stones until our arms hurt.
    Here we left Ed and Lois and started heading north with Jimmy and Emily. Went along a valley floor with several river crossings. Then climbed up to the top of a ridge. Again epic views. On the way down to the main road We came across lots of sheep and cows. One of the bulls had the most enormous bollocks I've ever seen! Would not mess with him.
    Made it to the main road and went back to Wanaka.
    All completely pooped we didn't feel like doing much. But some friends were out in town, so went out for a curry then joined then for a G and T. Felt slightly land sick after all the jiggling from the 4x4 journey.
    Read more