Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 89

    Journey starts - roof box explosion

    December 27, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Did the final packing of the van. Using up all the available space. Checked the weather, and noooo! Torrential rain on the entire west coast. Exactly where we were heading.
    So after a bit of optioneering we changed the plan to head up the middle of the country towards Peel Forest. Which should be away from the nasty bit of wind and rain.
    The drive was going to be about 4 hours to get there, passing lakes and mountains on the way.
    Briefly stopped at Lake Pukaki for left over pulled pork rolls.
    Stopped in at the Church of the Good Shepherd to get the classic instagram shot and walked round a shop with a cool old telescope.

    10 mins after that.... suddenly boom! Roof box exploded in a shower of camping equipment. The wind caught it and ripped it apart, scattering our belongings to the side of the road. Very luckily there was a strong sideways wind so nothing was on the road. Straight away we had a friendly car driver helping out. Then a police man.
    We smashed up the whole top box into little pieces and the very kind police man took away the parts. Just about had enough room to fit all our stuff inside the van.
    Excitement over, we headed to Peel Forest campground. By 6pm we were all set up and enjoying the sun and beers. No rain in sight.
    Hung around playing frisbee and had a curry.
    Read more