Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 92

    Rain or Sandflies?

    December 30, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Woke up at about 7.30 to the sound of rain. We could see hundreds of sandflies on the roof of our tent, between the inner and the outer.
    Certainly want to be fully dressed before venturing outside. Stayed snoozing till about 8, hoping that the rain would stop. Eventually decided to get up as Pete and Cathers were outside. Got outside to sunshine and no rain.... what?!?
    When putting down the tent, we realised that the sound of rain was actually just the sandflies landing and taking off. Yuck!

    Got to Richmond, and there was a market on, so stopped for a crepe and cherries. This area is a lot flatter with grassy plains, pine trees and smaller rolling hills.

    Went slightly further west to a bar overlooking Rabbit island for a beer. Very blue water with quick moving tide.

    Drove from Richmond to some shops to stock up for the next 3 days. On the way North West we stopped at Hawkes lookout with great views down the hills to the sea. Onwards past Able Tasman and up to our home for new year in Golden bay.

    Cute little holiday home only 2 min walk from the beach. That will do nicely!
    Read more