Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 107

    Milford sound

    January 14, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Early start of 5.45am in order to drive up to Milford Sound for our 9am boat tour.
    Very calm still morning with a little mist hanging in the air. We stopped a few times to take some photos, but didn't linger for too long lest we would miss out on the free car park. Got to the boat with 15 mins to spare.
    Boarded and sat on top. Quite a chilly morning, but we had enough layers on to keep warm. Amazing scenery with 150m high waterfalls and over 1000m high walls on either side. The whole trip took about 2 hours with a few points where the captain drove the nose into a waterfall.
    We worked our way back down the Milford road, stopping at a few spots to take some photos, fill the bottle up with glacier water and make some hot ham rolls. Hopefully not too hot as it was just baking from being in the back of the car.
    Saw a nasty crash part way back where a 4x4 had flipped. No idea why.
    Got back to Te Anau and chilled out on beach on the lakeside. Finally managing to catch up on some updates from the last 2 weeks.
    I was feeling like either I had mega hayfever or a bit of a cold, so we retired to the campsite by 7.30.
    Read more