Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 112

    Down river paddleboard. Epic views.

    January 19, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Chilled out till about midday doing some video editing and watching Jurassic Park.
    Cathers then finished work so we decided to head off paddle boarding.
    Went up to a gorge on the west side of Lake Wanaka. Dropped one car off at the bottom and then drove only 15 mins to the start. I thought it was going to only take about 30 mins to get down. But ended up being an amazing 3 hours.
    Areas were a bit shallow so we had to sit on the fronts of our boards to stop dinging the fins. Saw some deers along the way washing in the river.
    Cathers and Hannah both had an accidental dip. I did as well whilst trying a jump onto the board from the river edge. Refreshingly cool.
    Turned a corner and saw a wide valley with mountains at the back. Amazing views with not another person in site anywhere.
    Got down the the lower car. Then drove up to a gorge for a bit of swimming. Powerful river which we tried to swim against. No chance! Went up a bit along the side and floated down.
    Finished fairly late so picked up the cars and headed back to Wanaka.
    Had a bbq of fish and white wine. Great way to finish the day.
    Read more