Satellite
  • Day 23

    Polokwane

    June 29, 2010 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    Today involved two activities.
    Firstly, was a trip to the Cheetah Conservation Park near Polokwane.
    This place is set up to preserving and protecting several endangered species, primarily the Cheetah, but also the Wild Dog, Black Rhinos, Lions, and Ground Hornbills.
    It was a decent enough visit, including a guided tour and drive around their facilities. Theres something not quite the same about viewing animals in captivity.. considering how inspiring Kruger had been.
    Even still it was good to see Cheetah up close, and we had an interesting encounter with the wild dogs indeed, them howling and laughing and making a hell of a lot of noise in our presence. Tragically, we didnt get to see the Ground Hornbills..

    From here, we drove onwards to Polokwane.
    Here, overlooking the World Cup stadium was a small national park we explored. It took a while, but eventually we found a large pack of White Rhinos, we were able to get up close and personal with.
    Onwards to dinner at another great quality lodge. The bar and dining area was actually inside the owners home, making it very homely and cozy indeed.
    Then I retired to watch a horrible 0-0 draw between japan and paraguay, the latter eventually getting up in the tournaments first penalty shootout.
    Read more