Satellite
  • Day 14

    Knysna

    August 8, 2012 in South Africa ⋅ 🌙 5 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    The rain continued this morning, but began to ease after breakfast. With last nights game drive being so dissappointing, we decided to go for another morning game drive, before leaving Addo. The rain was off and on, but viewing was much, much better today, including a great encounter with some elephant, getting so close you could almost pet them. We also managed to spot some Spotted Hyena, Zebra, Osterich and Buffalo.

    From Addo, we headed towards Knysna, passing over the Storm River Bridge. Next, we stopped for a walk at the Tsitsikamma Big Tree; a giant Yellow-wood, standing 36.6 metres tall and over 1,000 years of age. This walk was a testiment to the unpredictable changing weather of the Western Cape, starting in radiant sunshine, and finishing soaking wet, as a random storm passed us over within an hour.

    We headed now towards Bloukrans Bridge. On the way, we passed a disturbing scene, a horrorific car wreck with two vehicles. Clearly, several people here had been killed, one man clearly visible with his arm hanging out the window (possibly severed) and plenty of blood. According to collaborated views of people on the tour, it seemed at least five people had been clearly killed in the two cars.
    Bloukrans Bridge was the site for Bert and Nela to complete their 216 metre Bungee. The rest of us watched on, and enjoyed lunch and drinks.From here, we reached out accomodation, the Lagoona Inn in Kynesna itself. The rooms were clearly the most comfortable and luxurious of our tour to date.

    After watching some amusing acting on African TV, we headed out for our first dinner out at a restaurant since beginning the tour. The Quay Four Restaurant in Knysna, right on the waterfront. We enjoyed crumbed mushrooms to start, Nat having Crayfish, and me the Angelfish along with a delicious Durban White wine. For three courses and wine, the whole lot cost Nat and I about $60AU. We got our Olympic fix before heading to bed around 10pm.
    Read more