Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Geographic/Kinak Bays - Katmai Nat Park

    July 31, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Breakfast at 07:00, we had table 61, right at the back of the restaurant with a window looking out from the stern of the ship. All we could see was mist the cliffs behind you can see in the photo were totally hidden. We were scheduled to be in the first group out at 08:30, but when we went to the boat deck at that time we were told they were delaying by 30 minutes to allow some of the mist to clear. We boarded the zodiac at 09:00, the mist had mostly cleared as we headed further into the harbour. Most amazing backdrop of mountains still with some snow, as we headed further into the bay small beaches began to appear. A bald eagle flew over the zodiac, sorry was too slow to get a photo, we carried on right to the end of the bay where there larger beaches and a grassy plain were to be found. Here were the bears, we probably saw about 10 in all, a mother and 2 largish cubs,a other and 3 cubs and several individuals on the shoreline. The bears were digging in the waters edge to find clams. Our pilot guide told us this was concerning as at this time of year there should have been salmon for the to feast on and he thought they were all much thinner than they should be at this time of year. On the way back a sea otter posed for some pictures. Back on the ship the mist has gone and is a bright sunny morning. Yesterday’s guide had warned us that Geographic Bay would be the highlight of the trip with its dramatic scenery and animal life, l don’t think he was wrong. We are fortunate, only a small ship like the Roald Amundsen and the small zodiacs can get you into this location as it is totally undisturbed wilderness. Onto Kinak Bay this afternoon where we have another zodiac outing.
    The other bay we visited is the other side of the mountains you see in picture 1, so it only took about an hour after lunch to slowly cruise around the headland into Kinak Bay. But what a marked difference between the two, a strong wind and bigger swell ! But once across the bay and into the channel that took us deeper into the park it was all calm again. Down a narrow channel it eventually opened out into a small lake at the far end amongst the reeds and grasses a bear played hide and seek with us eventually showing enough of him or herself to get a photo. On the way in we noticed a seal swimming back towards the sea, we saw him/ her again on the way back enjoying a fish supper. Karen has photos but have already exhausted my quota of 10 today, so if interested Karen can send separately.
    Read more