Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Whalers Bay - Deception Island

    March 3 in Antarctica ⋅ ☁️ 1 °C

    Arrived just before dawn, and sailed through the narrow gap into the protected bay where there is an abandoned whaling station, we go ashore at 10:00 for an hour. Meanwhile we are watching a torrential storm, those on shore will be soaked hopefully will stop before we go.
    No rain, bright and sunny and both feeling we have overdone the layers. The bay is the crater of an “active” volcano, we landed on the beach which consisted of small grains of lava rock. Strolled left to take a slightly closer look at the large building, then back right to walk to the gap in the cliffs around the bay. Walking along the beach we passed a few penguins, but every few yards there were seals sleeping on the shore, occasionally waving a flipper. Going up the slope to the dip was ok, coming down slightly harder as the small stones slipped under your feet, but both down without falling. Back along the beach passing the penguins and seals again to board the zodiac and return to the ship, ending our last shore trip in Antarctica.
    14:00 and we are leaving Deception Island, leaving through the narrow channel through the volcano wall on our way to the Falklands. So now we have 2 sea days as our next landing is Stanley on 6th Match.
    This afternoon, the itinerary shows us having a chance to visit the bridge.
    Read more