Satellite
Show on map
  • South Downs National Park; Midhurst area

    September 19, 2020 in England ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    The New Lipchis Way is a walking trail that links Chichester Harbour, a large natural harbour area south west of Chichester, with Liphook, a large village in East Hamphire. It passes through the heart of the South Downs National Park, including Midhurst where we link up with it as it passes through a pretty section of the Rother Valley. We join at the weir and follow the route along the river through Woolbeding Parkland to a bridge, where we cross and follow the river north. We pass Stedham Mill and the magnificent Stedham House. We leave this trail at Iping and cross the A272 to get to Iping and Stedham Common, where we link up with the next trail.

    The Serpent Trail is appropriately named; it runs from Petersfield to Haslemere; 11 miles apart as the crow flies, yet the trail is 64 miles long! The Common is managed sandy heathland and we cross it to reach Woolmer Bridge where we pass through the Severals Woods en route to Midhurst. Next morning, we pick up the trail across Midhurst Common and then follow Pitsham Lane to Cocking Causeway. Here we see a large obelisk, which turns out to be a memorial to Richard Cobden; he was born locally and as a Victorian MP, reformer and statesman was involved with the Corn Laws. The memorial states "Free Trade, Peace, Goodwill Among Nations" - still topical. We carry on down Dunford Hollow and reach the neglected Dunford House - this was built by the same Richard Cobden and gifted by him to the YMCA Charity on condition it was used for educational purposes. It is now, controversially, up for sale..... We leave the Serpent Trail after walking along the Goldbslls Plantation and proceed back to Midhurst - this is with the New Lipchis Trail again - along the outskirts of the Cowdray Estate.
    Read more