Satellite
Show on map
  • Shepreth L-Moor and Barrington Village

    March 9, 2021 in England ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    This is a walk we have done several times over the years and it has never disappointed.

    We start just before Barrington and walk the permissive path across meadowland close to the River Cam, turning off at some woodland to follow Guilden Brook; there is some waterlogging and the path has been blocked in places by fallen trees on this occasion, but it is still splendid. We reach the outskirts of Meldreth and head towards Shepreth, turning of at the Shepreth L-Moor. So called because of its shape, the site is a nature reserve and comprises unploughed grassland with many wet areas and is very attractive. After crossing the L-moor, we turn off towards the All Saints Church, cross the churchyard and walk up the High Street as far as The Plough at Shepreth; this is an active pub selling real ale, has large gardens and is a music venue as well. We cross a stile and then a small bridge before walking up a lane next to the River Shep; we pass the outskirts of the Shepreth Wildlife Park - this is small zoo and wildlife conservation charity with various creatures ranging from hedgehogs to owls, meerkats and a lynx (we have not been for a very long time).

    From here we cross the railway line (Cambridge to Kings Cross) and follow the footpath across fields to the small village of Barrington; small, yes, but with a village green covering 30 acres and more than half a mile (800 m) long - it is supposedly the longest in England. It is a beautiful place on a day like today - we see the Grade I listed All Saints Church, walk along the length of the village green admiring the picture postcard cottages dotted along it and pass The Royal Oak pub. Many years ago when I first visited here, the landlady was a real character and wore extremely strong, dark make-up - great days. At the end of the green there is, of course, a village pond.

    A lovely walk, with the added bonus of glorious weather today.
    Read more