Satellite
Show on map
  • Part 2; Clayhithe to Upware

    May 11, 2021 in England ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    We reach the bridge over the Cam at Clayhithe and enjoy the view of the Conservator's House from The Bridge public house; this is the residence of the foreman of the Conservators of the River Cam, the navigation authority for the River Cam in Cambridgeshire. Cambridge had been a major inland port as a result of its position on the navigable River Cam for centuries, but this position changed with the draining of the Fens and the Conservators were established to elicit tolls at sluices and locks along the Cam.

    Waterbeach is very close and this is now designated as a "new town" and, as we follow the track, we enjoy a view of the boats mooring there. A little further on we reach Bottisham Lock (No. 3 on the navigable portion of the River Cam) and then see the pumping station and flood gates at the end of Bottisham Lode (this links the village of Lode with the Cam). We pass Shrubb's Marina boat moorings and then reach Swaffham Bulbeck Lode where there is another lock and pumping station (this lode links the hamlet of Commercial End with the Cam).

    A couple of miles further on we arrive at Upware, where Reach Lode begins (this links the the village of Reach with the Cam); Upware is known for its aptly named "Five Miles from Anywhere, No Hurry" inn which backs down to the Cam.
    Read more