Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Cromer to Sheringham

    May 17, 2021 in England ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    We're stopping in Cromer for a couple of nights with a view to do some walking along the Norfolk Coastal Path. The route from Cromer to Weybourne is part of the Sea Palling to Weybourne section of the England Coast Path, which is opening in sections around the UK.

    Starting at Cromer lighthouse - now automated, so the lighthouse keeper's cottage alongside the tower is now let out as holiday apartments - we descend down the East Cliff to the town of Cromer, enjoying wonderful views of the pier and church tower. It is a lovely town, although very much a tourist resort now, and we see the church and explore some of the streets.

    We walk along the shingle beach as far as East Runton Gap and divert along the A149 for a few minutes before cutting down to the West Runton Cliffs and walking along these; the fossil remains of the "West Runton Elephant" were discovered here in 1990 - it was the skeleton of the best preserved specimen of a 4m tall steppe mammoth ever found and put the town on the map.

    We continue along the cliff walk past Beeston Regis and reach the "Beeston Bump", an isolated hill above this village, and descend down the other side to Sheringham.
    Read more