Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Mendip Hills; East Harptree and area

    June 26, 2021 in England ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    We're staying in an Air BnB accommodation in East Harptree, a small village in Somerset, for a few days. This post summarises some local walks we did in the area.

    From the church we walk along the bottom section of Harptree Combe, seeing the very scanty remains of Richmont Castle and an old Victorian Aquaduct, on our way to the larger village of West Harptree. We take the paths to Chew Valley Lake and cross this via Herriotts Bridge, where there are good views of the Lake and of Herriotts Mill Pool, a local nature reserve.; the Chew Valley Lake was created as a water supply resevoir for Bristol in the 1950s. From here it is down to Widcombe Common and then along the small River Chew to Tudor Farm across to Townsent and back to East Harptree; we pass the clock tower built in 1897 to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. We leave the village sgain and the double back along the top section of Harptree Combe.

    Later on, it is a short drive to East Harptree Woods to see the Smitham Lead Mine Chimney; this was built in 1867 as part of an unsuccessful lead mining venture.

    Next day, We do a walk near of Ebbor Woods and then head to Ebbor Gorge for a circular walk around this; not surprisingly, it is very steep in places, but there is a good view of the Somerset Levels from one point at the top.
    Read more