Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 155

    Sea Palling to Mundesley

    October 18, 2021 in England ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Sea Palling is a small holiday resort village to the south of Cromer. The Environmental Agency has erected 9 barrier reefs here to protect the village from the North Sea, as there is a lot of coastal erosion in this area. We start our walk at the small RNLI station and take the beach walk option towards Eccles-on-sea; this was abandoned in the 17th century due to being engulfed by the sea, and now exists as the Bush Caravan Estate behind concrete sea defences.

    We reach Happisburgh, which has national archaeological significance as evidence of the oldest human occupation in the UK was unearthed here in 2010. There are many groynes along the shore here to slow erosion; we pass the iconic red and white striped lighthouse - the oldest working in East Anglia - and St Mary's Church, the tall tower of which is an important landmark for sailors.

    We pass Walcott, well known for its sandy beaches, to reach Bacton; there are extensive sea defences here.... The Bacton Gas Terminal is an industrial complex of 6 different supplier terminals, each receiving gas from the UK continental shelf; a scheme was undertaken here in 2019 to deposit 2 million metric tonnes of sand in front of the cliffs to form an artificial dune to protect the complex and local villages for the next 15-20 years from from further erosion.

    The path continues along the beach at the bottom of Mundesley Cliffs, a site of scientific interest, to reach the RNLI Volunteer Station at Mundesley.

    It has been a good walk of close to 10 miles.
    Read more