Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 88

    Land Warfare Hall

    November 5, 2021 in England ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    The Land Warfare Hall was opened in 1992 by Field Marshal Lord Bramall and houses the Museum's collection of armoured vehicles, artillery and military vehicles to tell the story of the mechanisation of warfare.  Walking among these was a good experience.  The collection includes the three command vehicles used by Field Marshal "Monty" Montgomery, used during the Second World War in North West Europe; he was always close to the frontline and they became his office, bedroom and map room, respectively. There is an excellent film to watch called "The Normandy Experience" that describes what D-Day was like.
     
    The Land Warfare Hall also houses the Forgotten War exhibition, opened in 1999 as a joint project between the Imperial War Museum and the Burma Star Association, to represent veterans of the Burma campaign who often consider themselves to have fought in a "Forgotten Army" compared to those who fought in Europe.  There is also a display dedicated to Captain Sir Tom Moore, who served in Burma.

    The Hall also accommodates the Royal Anglian Regiment Museum; formed in 1964 by the amalgamation of the three regiments of the East Anglian Brigade and the Royal Leicestershire Regiment, it covers the history of the Regiment and its predecessors, which date back to the seventeenth century, up to recent operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and Sierra Leone. In 2010, a Royal Anglian Regiment memorial was dedicated at IWM Duxford, just outside the Land Warfare Hall.
    Read more