Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 151

    Spitfire: Evolution of an Icon

    January 7, 2022 in England ⋅ ⛅ 3 °C

    With twelve Spitfires going on display at the aircraft's "home", another visit to IWM Duxford had to be done; this exhibition, running from 27 Dec 2021 to 20 Feb 2022 in the AirSpace super hangar, traces the plane's development at the base where an RAF squadron received the first operational aircraft in 1938. It is thought to be the largest number assembled under one roof in the 21st century.

    Characterised by its graceful curves, elliptical wings and the sound of its powerful Rolls Royce engine, the Spitfire has become an icon of British air history; it was active in the Battle of Britain (1940) and also in North Africa, Italy and elsewhere in Europe during the 1939-1945 conflict. The aeroplane developed over this period, with changes to the Rolls Royce Merlin engine to make it bigger and more powerful leading to modifications of the aircraft design. For example: the nose was enlarged, the tail and propellers had to be changed because of the power that the newer engines produced and new wings were developed to hold more powerful armaments (originally eight machine guns, from Mark II onwards the wings were changed and heavier cannon introduced, with it eventually being able to carry bombs).

    It was extremely interesting to see these changes over time close up.
    Read more