Satellite
Show on map
  • Little Walden Circular

    January 28, 2022 in England ⋅ ☁️ 4 °C

    Little Walden is a small village in North Essex and lies about 3 miles north of Saffron Walden, along the B1052 road that goes up to Hadstock and Linton (in South Cambs); a USAAF airfield was operational from 1942-45 - this has long since gone back to agriculture, although it is commemorated on the village sign.  Little Walden is well known locally for the 18th century Crown Inn, a free house, and we have a quick look round the hamlet to see this as well as the small St John's Church, opposite Hall Farm, and the large village pond before walking north up Petts Lane.

    We pass through Home Farm and on to the Grade II listed timber framed Burntwood End before following the path east towards Park Farm and then south down through Ravenstock Green Farm (it is very agricultural here); there are views over to Chesterford Research Park (biotechnology, pharmaceutical and technology R&D companies have offices and bases here).

    We cross the B1052 to walk through Mitchells Farm and then east along a farm track; there are views of a windmill in the distance - Braggs Mill, near Ashdon (see Ashdon and Bartlow Circular FP entry; click on Trip - Essex).  We head south now and reach Puddle Wharf Lane before heading west along the Harcamlow Way, turning off at Butler's Farm - where there is some fancy farm machinery on view - and back in the general direction of Little Walden.

    It's been over 7 miles and a pleasant 3 hours walk.
    Read more