Satellite
Show on map
  • Reach and Swaffham Prior Circular

    February 8, 2022 in England ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    The ancient township of Reach, or as it was previously known Reche, has been inhabited for over 2,000 years and is situated at the termination of the Devil's Dyke earthwork; the village was the centre of considerable trade in mediaeval times and was granted a charter to hold an annual fair at Rogationtide by King John (Reach Fair continues to this day, an event attended by the Devil's Dyke Morris Men who dance there annually).  

    We see the village sign - each side is different - and across the village green is the Dyke's End pub; this is close to the Church of St Etheldreda which was built in 1860 on the site of the former chapel of St John - the ruined perpendicular arch of the old chapel is visible behind the new church.  We leave the village and take a short detour through Reach Wood - volunteers from Reach and Swaffham Prior planted 3,200 young trees on this site in a single day as part of an initiative to create new woodland.  Much to our surprise, we see an emu in a farm enclosure.

    We walk up Barston Drove and turn right at the end to reach the village of Swaffham Prior; we see the village sign and the excellent Red Lion pub before reaching the twin churches that dominate the village.  The Church of St Mary and the Church of St Cyriac and St Julitta have served the parish since at least the 12th century, but in 1667 an act of parliament combined the churches under a single parish.  Swaffham Prior is also known for its two windmills; Fosters Windmill is still operating as a mill but the Smock Tower Mill, now a private property, is covered by scaffolding and undergoing extensive renovations for the new owner to return the mill to working order in order to generate electricity.

    We leave the village and head east for a mile to reach the Devil's Dyke earthwork and walk along the top to get back to Reach.  
    Read more