Satellite
Show on map
  • Six Mile Bottom and Burrough Green

    April 3 in England ⋅ 🌬 12 °C

    This post describes a 12-mile walk with the Cambridge Rambling Club.  

    Six Mile Bottom is a hamlet within the parish of Little Wilbraham, near Cambridge; it is 6 miles from Newmarket and located in a "valley."  There are few houses here and a small church, but the A1304 main road runs through it and it is on the Cambridge to Ipswich railway line; the station here was closed in 1967, however, and is now a private residence.

    We circle round the back of Six Mile Bottom and cross open countryside towards Weston Colville; we then join the Icknield Way Trail and head through Brinkley towards Burrough Green - this is a small parish in Cambridgeshire, close to the Suffolk border, and also 6 miles from Newmarket.  There is a lovely village green here, a pub and the parish church of Church of St Augustine (a Grade II listed building dating from the 13th century); nearby the church is the Old Hall, a manor house which is now a farm.  Also of note is the primary school, which has been operating for over 400 years and the Reading Room dating from 1887.

    We then walk to Westley Waterless; this is a small, long, and thin village that is featured in the Domesday Book.  The recently restored Parish Church of St Mary-the-Less is known for its 1324 brass monument to Sir John de Creke and his wife, Alyne (Anne) Clopton.

    It has been a really interesting walk.
    Read more