Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Cheltenham - Parks and Spas

    March 20, 2022 in England ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    There are several parks in Cheltenham.

    The Imperial Gardens are located just off the Promenade, at the rear of Cheltenham Town Hall, and are flanked by extensive Regency facades, with Regency terrace townhouses encompassing the other three sides.  In the Gardens there is a signpost that points to towns which are twinned with Cheltenham worldwide, as well as a full size bronze statue of Gustav Holst as the centrepiece of a fountain surrounded by octagonal plinths depicting the planets (Holst was born in Cheltenham).

    Behind the Imperial Gardens are the Montpellier Gardens and east of this is Sandford Park; this has one of the largest outdoor pools in England as well as several monuments and fountains of interest. 

    Heading back into town and walking north up Winchcombe Street takes us to Pittville Park; this is the largest ornamental park in Cheltenham and features the magnificent Pittville Pump Room and two lakes.  We enter via the Pittville Gates and walk through Pittville Lawn, which is flanked by beautiful Regency houses, to reach the Park; overlooking the sweeping lawns and ornamental lakes is the Pittville Pump Room, the jewel of Cheltenham’s Regency architecture and the grandest survival of the town’s many spa buildings.
    Read more