Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 540

    Devizes; Caen Hill Locks / Roundway Down

    April 9, 2022 in England ⋅ ☀️ 5 °C

    Devizes is a town on the Kennet and Avon Canal; this is actually a waterway that comprises 3 sections;
    1) Bristol to Bath via the natural course of the River Avon,
    2) the Canal itself linking the River Avon to the River Kennet at Newbury, and
    3) Newbury to Reading via the natural course of the River Thames.

    We follow the course of the canal along the Caen Hill Lock Flight between Lower Foxhangers and Devize;; this canal flight allows boats to accommodate a change in height of 237 feet over 2 miles. This amazing feat of engineering, completed in 1810, comprises 16 locks for Caen Hill and another 6 at the Devizes end; there are large side ponds at each lock and the complete structure is now recognised as a scheduled ancient monument. It is truly incredible to see.

    We now follow the course of the canal along the outskirts of Devizes past the Devizes Wharf and the former warehouse to pass large houses with gardens down to the water. We cross a bridge and walk up to the small hamlet of Roundway before carrying on to Roundway Hill to pass the Devizes Millenium White Horse, cut in 1999.

    Further up Roundway Hill is Roundway Down, a steep, chalk grass covered down with great views; there is a triangular shaped Iron Age Hill Fort dating from 600 BC on top. The hill fort is also known as Oliver's Castle because a great battle was fought on Roundway Hill in 1643 during the English Civil War.

    It is a long walk down to Devizes, but another great day has been spent.
    Read more