Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Krakow - The Wawel

    May 17, 2022 in Poland ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    A good flight to Krakow yesterday; about time too - this self-organised trip should have happened 2 years ago, but was postponed for some reason....

    The Royal Complex on Wawel Hill, overlooking the River Vistula, is considered a symbol of Polish Statehood and the first historic ruler of the country settled here in the 10th century.

    We enter the 4-winged Royal Castle (built 1505-36) by crossing the Italianate arcaded inner courtyard; some of the castle is closed to visitors, but we can visit the Royal Apartments - there are tapestries, ornate ceilings, stoves, furniture etc to see and admire. We also visit the small Royal Gardens at the rear of the castle.

    Wawel Cathedral (of Saints Stanislav and Waclaw) is the most important temple in Poland; many Kings, wives and national heroes are buried here. Several chapels have been built around the main nave, and it is extremely beautiful inside. The bell tower is part of the specified walking route and the 12-ton Sigismund Bell is of particular ineterst; there are good views from here as well. We also visit the Royal Tomb and Cathedral Museum as part of our Cathedral visit.

    We leave The Wawel and take the scenic Royal Route to Krakow's main market square and beyond...
    Read more