Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Cairo 5; Islamic Cairo - The Citadel

    November 29, 2022 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    The Citadel of Cairo is a medieval Islamic-era fortification in Cairo, Egypt, built by Salah al-Din (Saladin) and further developed by subsequent Egyptian rulers. It is located on a promontory near the centre of Cairo and commands a strategic position overlooking the city and dominating its skyline. It is now an iconic and preserved historic site, comprising mosques and museums.

    The southern enclosure is dominated by the Mosque of Mohammad Ali; it is also known as the Alabaster Mosque because the lower storey and forecourt is tiled with alabaster.  It is built in the Turkish style, with an open court and prayer hall.  The open court has a Turkish Baroque Ablutions Fountain and a monumental tower clock in the middle of the north-western wall; donated by Prince Philippe of France, it was reciprocated by a the obelisk of Luxor (now in Place de la Concorde).  The huge prayer hall inside is vast and noted for its two minbars (pulpits used for sermon reading).  We then visit the Mosque of Sultan al-Nasir and have a look in the Police National Museum.

    Much of the northern enclosure is closed to the public at present, but the Egyptian Military Museum is open; this is the official museum of the Egyptian Army and was moved to the Harem Palace at the Cairo Citadel in 1949; the interior of the place is extremely large and very beautiful.

    We take a taxi back to the hotel in good time to transfer to the airport and the flight home.  The Egyptian Experience trip has been fantastic.
    Read more