Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Anurahadpura

    March 28, 2023 in Sri Lanka ⋅ 🌩️ 28 °C

    The Cultural Triangle refers to the area between the former capitals of Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, and Kandy.

    Anuradhapura is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was the first capital city in Sri Lanka; it was founded in 380 BC and abandoned in 1073 and has three of the largest stupas in the world. Tens of thousands of monks lived here in dozens of monasteries with a by-population, and many artificial reservoirs were built over this time. It was uncovered in the 19th century by British explorers. There are many small temple relics here, but we focused on selected main sites.

    The first one was the Sri Maha Bodhi or Sacred Bo Tree; possibly 2,200 years old, and grown from a sapling under which Buddha first gained enlightenment, it is now tended. Nearby is the Loda Pasada (Brazen Palace), formerly a nine storey residence for monks, but now reduced to about 1,600 pillars. The Ruwanweliseya (Maha Thupa or Great Stupa) is 55m high and constructed from over 100 million clay bricks; it is surrounded by full-size sculpted elephants. We walk around it (clockwise) and see the Buddha relics

    We see the Thuparama (the oldest stupa on site and in Sri Lanka) and the Lankarama Stupa. Then we see the Moonstone; these are placed at the bottoms of staircases to central places of worship and depict the stages of life.

    We now visit the Abhayagiri Monastery complex and see the main ruins - the Abhayagiri Stupa (the third largest here), the Samadhi Buddha, and the Kuttam Pokuna (Twin Ponds) - before moving on to the Jetavanaramaya Stupa (the second largest on the Anuradhapura site).

    It's been a great visit!
    Read more