Satellite
Show on map
  • RHS Garden Hyde Hall, Essex

    May 30, 2023 in England ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    The garden at Hyde Hall was created by Dr. and Mrs. Robinson in 1955; Hyde Hall was formerly a working farm on a hilltop surrounded by arable land and became the property of the RHS in 1993.

    We start our visit at the original Hyde Hall farmhouse, thatched barn and farmhouse garden, and then - using the map supplied - walk behind to the Robinson Garden, an original area of garden created by the Robinsons themselves.  After walking along the Shrub Rose Border, we reach Lower Pond - also an original feature that has been expanded by the RHS.  Then it's the Global Growth Vegetable Garden; created in 2017 outside the original borders, this garden is set out in a circle and split into four quarters to showcase plants of Europe and the Middle East / Asia / North and Central America / South America; at its centre is a 14m wide octagonal glasshouse in which less hardy edibles are grown. We then cross the Hilltop Garden to reach the iconic Dry Garden, one of the most well-known parts of Hyde Hall Gardens.  We walk down the sun facing Clover Hill towards the man-made lake / reservoir and then up through the Winter Garden to the Courtyard Gardens; planted in 2012, they comprise the stylised Modern Country Garden and the relaxed classic Country Garden. 

     It has been another excellent visit to our second RHS garden.
    Read more