Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 176

    Regent's Canal to Mile End

    November 1, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Back to St Pancras Lock and we carry on walking east along the Towpath reaching the Islington Canal Tunnel; this takes the Regent's Canal 960 yards (878 m) under Angel, Islington, the longest such tunnel in London.  We access the Eastern portal after a diversion via Islington High Street, and enjoy great views before passing Sturt's Lock and on to Haggerston Bridge - where there are sharks!  The Haggerston Sharks are a controversial art installation that has been changed several times to suit local council demands.

    Then we reach another installation; this time, the conversion of the Bethnal Green gasometer to very nice and expensive residential apartments (much like those at the Kings Cross Gasholder Park).  We soon reach Victoria Park, a large park in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets (formerly the traditional East End); we visit the southern part of the park and see the Dogs of Alcibiades (guardians since 1912) and the Chinese Pagoda (a folly on an island in the Western Boating Lake).  We leave Victoria Park and follow the Towpath to reach the Mile End Lock to end this leg of the walk and have lunch.
    Read more