Satellite
Show on map
  • 1; St John's College

    February 17 in England ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    We are out with our daughter Sarah today; as an employee of one of the Colleges, we can visit them with her - even if they are not open for visitors.  First of all, we visit St John's College; St John’s is one of 31 colleges at the University of Cambridge and was founded in 1511 - it is one of the largest colleges here.  Although self-governing, colleges are all part of the university.  

    St John's entrance is via the Great Gate (1516) and features a carving of the coat of arms of the Foundress, Lady Margaret Beaufort, supported by mythical beasts called yales; above is a statue of St. John the Evangelist and at his feet is an eagle, the traditional symbol of the Saint. From here we cross the First Court and visit St John's Chapel before crossing the Second Court to have a quick lunch at the College cafe; from here we cross the Third Court and pass over the Bridge of Sighs.  Named for the famous Venice landmark, this 1831 covered arch bridge connects College buildings on the other side of the River Cam, on the Backs; the bridge is a famous Cambridge landmark, usually only visible from a punt.  We see The New Court at St. John’s College,  a significant building built in response to increased demand for housing inside the college during the 1820s; it has a Gothic Revival design.

    From here, we leave St John's on our way to visit Trinity College, the next college along.
    Read more