Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,066

    Wells-next-the-Sea to Brancaster Staithe

    April 16 in England ⋅ 🌬 8 °C

    We take the Coastal Hopper 36 bus (free for people of a certain age) from Old Hunstanton to Wells-next-the-Sea and get off at Quayside to resume the Norfolk Coastal Path.

    We follow the coastal path to the lifeboat station, where it diverts across and through Holkham Nature Reserve. We walk along the outskirts of pine woods and then along alongside salt marshes and the tidal foreshore. We then turn sourh west through the Overy Marshes, water meadows, and the Overy Creek towards Burnham Overy Staithe, a hamlet and small harbour one mile north of Burnham Overy (Staithe means a landing place for boats in the local dialect).

    We walk close to the Burnham Overy Staithe Windmill, a Grade II listed Tower Mill that is now holiday accommodation, where the coastal path doubles back around the Norton Marsh and then goes on west past Deepdale Marsh and down to Burnham Deepdale. We then walk on to the neighbouring village of Brancaster Staithe - a landing place / harbour for the nearby Brancaster- with more saltmarsh on our right.

    Then it's back on the 36 bus, for a well-deserved cup of tea after a lovely 12 mile walk (despite the wind and rain at times!)
    Read more