Satellite
Show on map
  • Dullingham and Stetchworth

    May 8 in England ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    These villages were visited on a 7.5 mile walk with the Cambridge Rambling Club

    Dullingham is a small village and civil parish situated 4 miles south of Newmarket and 14 miles east of Cambridge.  It is a pretty place with a village green, local pub, church and nice properties, and even has its own railway station; opened in 1848, it lies on the Cambridge branch of the Ipswich to Ely Line, via Newmarket.  We leave the village, passing by several small horse stud farms on our way to the small village of Dullingham Ley, where we head north along Basefield Wood towards Woodditton.

    Woodditton is a small village that lies at the south-eastern end of the Devil's Dyke, a defensive earthwork thought to be of Anglo-Saxon origin (see FP post in The Cambridgeshire Dykes).  The embankment is high here and thickly enclosed by scrub and bushes, with large roots crossing the path.  After a short walk of about 1/2 mile along it, we turn off for Stetchworth.  

    Stetchworth is another small village and civil parish and we are now 3 miles south of the horse-racing centre of Newmarket and around 12 miles east of Cambridge; typically, there is a pub, church and interesting properties here; the Ellesmere Centre is a community centre, including a post office, and community store, serving Stetchworth and the neighbouring villages mentioned above - we have our lunch here before heading back to Dullingham.

    Another good walk - in splendid weather, this time
    Read more