Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Morning of day 4

    April 1 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    This morning, we went a university, founded in 1290, the University of Coimbra (UC) is one of the oldest universities in the world and the oldest in all of Portugal. Up until the early part of the 20th century, it was also the only Portuguese-speaking university in the world.
    Beautiful campus. Was for prestigious male students until the 1800's. The most interesting part was the library. It was a scene out of Harry Potter with 2 levels of books, accessible only by the librarian, the 2nd level accessible by ladder only. Decorated in beautiful wood with real gold inlays.

    Fun facts
    *The library has a jail in the basement.
    *Students that were caught speaking any language other than Latin would be placed in that jail.
    *The picture attached of weapons are what the University guards carried with them.
    *If you were late to class, caught leaving campus, didn't agree with professors and university beliefs, unacceptable grades, you were sent to jail.
    *At night, the release bats into the library to eat the insects in order to keep the insects at bay.
    *No photohlgraphs allowed in the library.

    Ww also viewed the church and secret rooms for the professors. The University sits on a hill. We walked up and down many stairs.

    Very interesting tour. Great lunch today- Tosta de Bacalhau. Yum!
    Read more