Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 86

    Tábor

    July 2, 2017 in Czech Republic ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We did not intend to be in the Czech Republic right now but the weather and a subsequent cancellation by our alternate host in Germany thwarted our original plans.

    We had some German campsites planned and then we found out about weather warnings for severe thunderstorms. Didn't quite fancy putting the tent up in the pouring rain and not being able to cook for ourselves for the next few days. We have a gas cooker which is fab but not really user friendly in bad weather, something that we found out in Austria! So we found somewhere on Airbnb in Germany but the host cancelled the day before we were due to leave..

    As places in Germany are really not that cheap we decided to head the other way and ended up here in the Czech Republic. Tabor in particular as we found a nice looking place with a decent price tag.

    Tabor does not feature in any of our guides but we have enjoyed our stopover here. The best thing to do here according to Tripadvisor was the Hussite museum. It was actually quite interesting and we got to try on 12kg of chainmail and also had a tour in some underground passages with a guided tour in Czech...

    Yesterday we went into the town again - to visit the botanical gardens - as we were running out of things to do and trying to help our budget. It was a Saturday afternoon and it was completely deserted. Appears that everything closes at 12pm and everyone actually disappears. We first thought we had entered the zombie apocalypse and felt safe when we saw a hunting shop where we could steal guns if the zombies appeared. But we eventually saw one human gardener mowing the lawn.

    The apartment is great and Stuart has been able to do some actual cooking :) so I am pleased.
    Read more