Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 114

    Trakai

    July 30, 2017 in Lithuania ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    So after a quiet Saturday in Kaunas, we found out where all the people are!

    Trakai was mobbed! Appeared mostly to be locals and the lady at the Tourist Information explained that there was a concert and a rowing competition due to be taking place. Though we didn't see any of these we did see beautiful lakes, an Island Castle and some colourful houses.

    Our main aim was to visit the Trakai Island Castle, set in the middle of the lake. It is a red brick structure that was renovated at the start of the 20th century. Stuart's highlight was getting to try out shooting a crossbow.. luckily not at me.

    We put each other in the stocks and learnt about St Florian, the patron saint of firefighters. After the castle we wandered along the lake and I dipped my feet in the lovely cold water. Although it was only ! 23 degrees I found it pretty warm so the lake was lovely and refreshing.

    The houses in Trakai were all different colours and made for a lovely walk around. We found a lovely gift shop and managed to finally start picking up a few gifts/souvenirs.

    I had read on the map that there were 35 x 5m angel statues on a hill just outside of Trakai so we went there on our drive out. It is an odd collection, and we only stayed 5 minutes as it was swarming with flies and the effect is spoiled with a larger collection of electricity pylons in the background.

    Apart from the slightly weird angel collection and the cars strewn on all the available pavements, Trakai is a lovely spot as you can see from my amateur photos!
    Read more