Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 151

    Amsterdam

    September 5, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    So.. a bit of a catch up here as I have really been slacking since being back in the UK!

    As some of you will know, though we had the most amazing experiences on our European leg, I have not 100% enjoyed living out of a bag, constantly on the move. We decided therefore to head back to the UK for a while to reevaluate what we are going to do next.

    As our most direct route took us through Amsterdam, it would have been rude not to stop. And I am glad we did. Stuart had visited before but I had not. It was grey and wet but this did not detract from the charm of the canals, bikes and skinny houses.

    After I insisted on finding a canal side breakfast of pancakes, we took a walking tour and explored the past and the present of this interesting, liberal city. We wandered along the waters edge, seeing the lean and leaning buildings. Some leaning sideways from subsidence, some leaning forward to maximise space whilst avoiding taxes based on the width of houses. We were lead through the red light district, where workers in their windows neighbour nurseries. We learnt of the tolerance of the Dutch, which has stood them in good stead through centuries of unrest in Europe and made Amsterdam a hugely successful trading port.

    Following the three hour walk, we treated ourselves to chips! Accompanied by delicious sauces and a pint of beer!

    There is so much we know we didn't see, In particular Anne Franks house, with a queue sneaking around the block, was a shame to miss. But we will have to return to really see the sights.

    Before heading for the boat to Newcastle, we visited a shopping centre and Stuart picked up a poffertges (small round pancakes) maker. Ever since my uncle (Cormac) made us poffertges some years ago with his maker, Stuart has wanted one, so I couldn't really say no! However, having tried it since once in Scotland, it is definitely something we need a bit more practice to perfect :)
    Read more